Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Shawling along...

After I finished Shawl-ebruary just in time for March, I have now opened chapter 2, Shawl-pril. Back in January, when I made my 2014 - goals & projects list, I started combing Ravelry for adequate shawl patterns for a variety of upcoming birthday presents. I have finally decided on two of them.

The first shawl is for my grandmother, who turns 90 years wise on May 4th. She will get a wonderfully simple yet smart and intriguing shawl called Fiske by Gudrun Johnston, which I have actually started to knit today, in Wollmeise Pure, colorway Ballerina. The yarn is delightful to knit with, and I can really understand why so many people love it. The pattern so far is delightful too. It's well-written and illustrated and is presenting some interesting moments for the knitter. 20 rows into the pattern and I have already learned Vikkel braid. Yay!

picture: amirisu
In fact, you should really check out the latest issue of amirisu, the on-line magazine where Fiske is published. It's a very nice and simple Japanese knitting magazines, with a collection of patterns from worldwide designers. Love amirisu.

The second shawl I'm going to attempt is for my mothers 60th birthday, which will be celebrated in June. For that one, I have chosen Dark Champagne, I modern yet sophisticated shawl, that I hope my mother will like. I actually found the designer, Melanie Berg through amirisu (she has a beautiful pattern in the latest issue called Astray), and funnily Melanie is from my home town in Germany and we graduated high-school only a few years apart, her principal was my best friends father. Small world.

Anyways, I will cast-on Dark Champagne as soon as I have finished my Waterlily, which is coming along nicely now after the shitty challenging start.

No comments:

Post a Comment